The educational organization, SciCo, in the context of a continuous development and taking into account the social and pedagogical benefits of STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Maths) education, designed the "STEMpowering Youth" program. Vodafone Foundation is the exclusive sponsor of this program, while the “Ellinogermaniki Agogi” is the academic advisor.
The mission of “STEMpowering Youth” educational program is:
- To promote the cooperative teaching and focus on students’ need for understanding, interaction and active learning.
- To inform students about new technologies and discoveries.
- To give the opportunity to the students to develop skills, such as critical and problem-solving ability, through practical implementation.
- To educate teachers on modern technological tools and educational approaches and encourage them to integrate them into the school teaching.
- To equip schools in remote areas, with laboratory materials and kits, in order to make the lesson more interactive at the lowest possible cost.
- To use the critical and creative thinking that is innate to STEM, in order to develop social innovation in the local community and find solutions everyday issues by using an interdisciplinary approach.
Functional features of the “STEMpowering Youth” program:
- The target group is children aged 13-16 years.
- It is implemented in remote geographic areas of Greece such as Thrace and Dodecanese.
- Each class consists of 15 to 20 students.
- The total duration of the program is 2 months and includes 9 2-hour sessions.
The program started in February 2017 and until now has been implemented on 14 schools and delivered on 380 students.
Induction in STEM
Use of GPS. Afantou, Dodecanese.
Learning about Arduino. Orestiada, Pomak villages, Xanthi, Komotini and Alexandroupoli.